
MIDDELBURG
It was established in 1866 on the farm Sterkfontein. It was first named Nazareth, but was renamed Middelburg in 1874, after the Dutch of that name, the capital of Zeeland, a province of the Netherlands. It became a municipality in 1903. The town is also halfway between Pretoria and Lydenburg.
White Church
White Church, Joubert st – This Dutch reformed Church was built in 1890. It was designed by Carl Otto Hager and erected by his son JCM Hager. Inaugurated on 18 January 1890. Declared a National Monument on 17 August 1984. Rev AP Burger served the church for 44 years. He served in the ABW and was taken prisoner. During the ABW the locals attend the church from 09h00 and then had to evacuate at 11h00 for the British soldiers who also gave sermons here.
Boer Memorial
Boer Memorial, Rooth Square opp White Church – This memorial was erected in 1938 to the memory of the Burghers of Middelburg and district who gave died during the ABW 1899-1902.
Old Court and Post office
Old Court and Post office, Joubert st – The cornerstone was laid by The Honourable J de Villiers, Attorney-General and Minister of Mines on 4 September 1908.
Trichard House
Trichard House, Walter Sisulu St – This house was built for Carolus (Carl) Johannes Trichard (1811-1901), son of the Voortrekker leader Louis Trichard, and his wife Zacharia Gertruida Trichard (1823-1901).
Rooth Square
Rooth Square/Van Blerk square, Eksteen St -opposite of building named after Theodore Rooth first resident and surveyor of the town. renamed after Van Blerk in honour of Phillip Petrus van Blerk, , mayor. Awarded freemanship in 1962, awarded in this building that housed the council chamber.
Astra Building
Astra Building, Eksteen St – The rear part was the original town hall of Middelburg. Built in 1897 by JB de Kock and I du Plessis. During the ABW it housed Boer women and children deported out of Pretoria. It housed prisoners of war in transit. It was later used as a shop and bioscope theatre.
Methodist Church
Methodist Church, Bhimy Damane St cnr Crocker Ebenberger St, Original the Wesleyan Church. The cornerstone was laid on 3 August 1898 by Landdros GJW du Toit. Dedicated on 20 November 1898. A new wing was added in June 1903. Extended in 1969 and 1991.
NZASM Railway Station
NZASM Railway Station, Meyer St – Designed by C van Lissa and probably built by MCA Meischke. It was completed in 1895.The main entrance faced the platform. It was declared a National Monument on 26 May 1978.
Site – first Concentration Camp
Site – first Concentration Camp – on the station platform – During the ABW in November 1900, the first women and children were brought in open train wagons to Middelburg. They were held in the railway houses opposite the station.
Railway Houses
Railway Houses – Cowan Ntuli st – The railway houses were built with stone and brick. Built around 1896 by the NZASM.
Kesting/White De Kock House
Kesting/White De Kock House – one of the oldest houses in town. The plot was sold by the Church to Anton Kesting 1887. The house was probably built by RG White, a merchant and general dealer, who bought the property in 1888 and sold it in 1897. From 1918 to 1936 it was owned by Mrs MM de Kock.

Steam locomotive
Steam locomotive, on plinth, Walter Sisulu st Clubville – SAR Class 8A no 1127, nicknamed Julieo– It was built in 1902 by Nielson, Reid & Co and Sharp, Stewart & Co in Glasgow, Scotland. Working the Middelburg/Stofberg line. Retired from service in 1972 and donated to Middelburg. Also worked the Witbank coal line. Put on the plinth in 1984.
REFERENCES
New Dictionary of South African Place Names – Peter E Raper – 2004
Historic Sites of South Africa – Deirdre Richardson - 2001
The Historical Monuments of South Africa – JJ Oberholster – 1972.
Guide to the Anglo Boer War in the Eastern Transvaal – Gert & Erika vd Wedsthuizen
NZASM 100 The Buildings, Steam Engines and Structures of the Netherlands South African Railway Company – RC de Jong, G-M van der Waal, DH Heydenrych- 1988
Old Steam Locomotives in South Africa
Middelburg Heritage/ Erfenis











